I’ve been so excited to see all the autumn vegetables and fruits! And who doesn’t love roasted root vegetables – crispy on the outside and sweet and fluffy on the inside. I picked up these beautiful carrots with the tops still on and paired them with some crimson red radicchio and endives leaves. With carrots, I often like to leave the green tops on when they are served as a side dish to a savoury roast beef or chicken. However for salads, I’ll trim the tops and cut the carrots down to a manageable bite size.
The other star in this salad is the golden delicious apple. Did you know that there are over 7,500 types of apples? Growing up in Ontario, Canada where there are many apple orchards, apple picking is a very popular autumn activity. So when I think of fall fruits the apple immediately comes to mind – hot apple cider, cinnamon apple pies, apple loaf cakes, apple chutneys … For this salad, I’ve grilled some sliced apple and added a sprinkle of cinnamon to help bring out some great autumn flavours.
1 bunch small carrots (about 12)
1 tbsp rosemary, leaves chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 granny smith apple
1 tsp olive oil
a pinch of cinnamon and salt
½ large red radicchio, leaves torn
1 red endive, separated leaves
2 cups red cabbage, sliced
1 small shallot, finely diced
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Wash, trim and halve (or even quarter) the carrots. Coat in olive oil and rosemary. Line baking tray with parchment and roast carrots for 15-20 minutes until cooked.
- Wash and core the apple but keep the skin on. Slice and toss in olive oil and a pinch of cinnamon and salt. Heat grill pan on high heat and grill the slices for 3-4 minutes on each side until grill marks are visible. Set aside.
- Prepare the radicchio, endive and cabbage for the salad.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake well. When ready to serve toss the leaves with the dressing and add in the carrots and apples at the end.