Need some inspiration? Try this Vegan Mac n’ Cheese recipe for some comforting plant based power! Who knows…you may like it more than the original. We are trying not to eat it EVERY weekend here.
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 250ml non-dairy milk (nut based or soy)
- 20g nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 stalks spring onions, sliced
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- 100g macaroni pasta
- 85g cashews (toasted optional), soak 70g overnight, reserve 15g, chopped
- 250ml or more pasta water
- 85g vegan cheese, grated
- Soak 70g of cashews in water overnight or min 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions less 4 minutes. Reserve 500ml of pasta water.
- Cook onions and olive oil in a hot pan for 5 mins on medium-high heat. Add garlic, spices, salt and pepper and cook for another 2 mins. Take off heat and add milk and yeast.
- Slice spring onions and set aside.
- Rinse and drain cashews. Blend cashews with infused milk until smooth. Add reserved pasta water if need to ensure consistency is like a gravy. Toss sauce with cheese, cooked pasta and spring onions and bake in oven safe dish topped with chopped cashews and vegan cheese for 20 mins.