Need some WFH comfort COVID inspiration? Try this Vegan Mac n’ Cheese recipe for some comforting plant based power! Who knows…you may like it more than the original.
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 250ml non-dairy milk (nut based or soy)
- 20g nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 stalks spring onions, sliced
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- 100g macaroni pasta
- 85g cashews (toasted optional), soak 70g overnight, reserve 15g, chopped
- 250ml or more pasta water
- 85g vegan cheese, grated
- Soak 70g of cashews in water overnight or min 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions less 4 minutes. Reserve 500ml of pasta water.
- Cook onions and olive oil in a hot pan for 5 mins on medium-high heat. Add garlic, spices, salt and pepper and cook for another 2 mins. Take off heat and add milk and yeast.
- Slice spring onions and set aside.
- Rinse and drain cashews. Blend cashews with infused milk until smooth. Add reserved pasta water if need to ensure consistency is like a gravy. Toss sauce with cheese, cooked pasta and spring onions and bake in oven safe dish topped with chopped cashews and vegan cheese for 20 mins.