While there are no 100% guarantees or prevention / cures for bacterial infections or viruses, by eating well and keeping a healthy gut – we can tremendously help to strengthen our body, significantly reduce the severity of infections and recover faster. Here’s one of my favourites dishes involving immunity boosting, anti-inflammatory, anti viral/ bacterial ingredients – kale, bulgur, garlic, turmeric, ginger, thyme, onions and lemon. Stay safe and enjoy!
Immunity Grain Bowl
350g coarse bulgur wheat (or brown/ wild rice or quinoa)
2.5L water and salt generously
150g cavolo nero (or broccoli or kale), bite sized
6 garlic cloves, diced
2 lemons, juiced
5cm piece ginger, peeled, grated
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp turmeric powder (or fresh turmeric if available)
2 tbsp fresh thyme or oregano leaves, chopped (otherwise used 1-2 tsp dried)
1/2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
300-400 ml water (to cover chicken in pot)
2 generous pinches of salt
2 chicken breasts, 400g
1/2 red onion, finely sliced
200g natural yoghurt
100g hazelnuts, crushed (or pumpkin or sunflower seeds)
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Boil salted water and cook bulgur for 20-25 mins until al dente. Once cooked, add cavolo nero (or broccoli or kale) to same pot and lightly cook veggies for 2-3 mins. When ready, drain excess water. (If using alternate grain, follow instructions).
- Combine marinade ingredients in a pot. Cook chicken breast in marinade on medium heat for 15-20 mins covered (flip the chicken half way through cooking). Once cooked, remove from liquid and shred with two forks.
- Reduce marinade liquid uncovered on high heat until a thick sauce is remaining. Take off heat and add sliced onions and yoghurt.
- Combine bulgur cavolo nero mix, chicken and yoghurt dressing. Season with salt and pepper and serve with hazelnuts on top.
- Serving dish cold or hot works great (easily reheat the grain and chicken on a pan, then add dressing)
- Make dressing ahead of time and refrigerate up to 5 days
- If you cannot find bulgur, swap with any grain (if we list the tip here, do we still need it in the recipe)
- If you cannot cavolo nero, swap with broccoli, kale or even red peppers – any bright coloured veg works.
- If you don’t like raw onions (although immunity benefits are best raw, pickle the onions with 1 tbsp white / cider vinegar, pinch of salt and cover with hot water)