Staycationning this summer? Why not enjoy what your local parks have to offer and try this breadless samosa chicken sandwich? This recipe was inspired by my mother-in-law, who used this mix in our family’s homemade chicken samosas. Generations of women will tell you that their secret samosa filling is the best because of their unique homemade garam masala mix. But of course, this one really is the best…
The filling is made with chicken breast, spices and coconut yoghurt. The bread is made using cauliflower and eggs then baked in the oven. The samosa chicken is then sandwiched between cauliflower bread – but of course regular works wonderfully too!
To make the “bread”
500g raw cauliflower, riced
100g ground almonds
20g chives, chopped
1/4 tsp flaked sea salt
1/8 tsp coarse black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Remove the cauliflower leaves and slice off ends. Cut into florets and add to the food processor. Pulse to make cauliflower into broken rice.
- Whisk egg and to cauliflower rice along with chives, salt and black pepper mixing evenly.
- Mold mixture on a tray into sliced bread size, thickness and shape.
- Bake on parchment lined tray for 14-16 mins until firm.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool. Flip over bread and remove parchment and leave other side to cool.
For the samosa chicken
2 free-range/organic chicken breasts, 400g
6 garlic cloves, diced
2 lemons, juiced
5 cm piece ginger, grated
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp chilli powder (optional)
2 pinches of salt
25g fresh coriander
10g, chives, chopped
1tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp coconut yoghurt
For the quick pickle carrots (optional)
1 carrot, julienne
1/4 tsp flaked sea salt
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Combine marinade ingredients (except olive oil) in a medium pot. Heat pot to a boil and cook chicken breast on medium heat for 15 minutes covered. (If not fully submerged, turn chicken breast half way through so colour of turmeric infuses whole breast).
- Optional. Make quick pickled carrots by mixing the ingredients and setting aside for 15-20 mins trying to coat carrots in vinegar.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from liquid and shred with two forks.
- Reduce marinade liquid on high heat until a sauce is formed.
- Take off heat and add olive oil and shredded chicken, coriander and chives.
- Serve chicken with cauliflower bread and carrot pickle.