Breakfast in bed started off as a luxury enjoyed by wealthy married women as they enjoyed breakfast in their bedrooms, while men would start the day eating breakfast in the family room. It then began to be used as a way to pamper your mum or wife on Mother’s Day, but why couldn’t we do breakfast in bed more often? I love to do it at hotels and since that’s not happening… why not re-create it at home?
So some of you might be thinking similar to Simon on the show today, breakfast in bed is that luxury that we all wish we did more, but it can actually be a bit messy and complicated. So I’m sharing some bite sized breakfast dishes that are perfect for those lazy and cuddly mornings without all the mess!
Masala Chai French Toast Bites with Turkey Bacon
Allergens: Eggs, Milk, Gluten
1 tea bag (any black tea like English or Assam)
1-2 tsp chai spice mix (or make your own below)
8 cracked green cardamom pods (or 1/2 tsp of powder)
1 cinnamon stick (or 1 tsp of of powder)
a grate of fresh nutmeg (or a pinch of powder)
4 cloves (or a few pinches of powder)
300ml of milk
1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or essence
2 large eggs
4 slices of brioche or thick sliced bread
1-2 tbsp oil, butter or ghee
6 slices of turkey or regular bacon, cooked and cut into small pieces
garnish, 10 strawberries, halved (optional)
- Heat milk, tea and spices on lowest heat until steaming but not bubbling to infuse for 10 mins. Once ready, set aside to cool and then strain to remove whole spices. Add vanilla and syrup and whisk.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk. Add the infused milk.
- Heat oil/butter in a pan on medium heat, cook bacon on flipping after a 2-3 mins on each side until crispy. Cool and cut into small pieces.
- Drop your bread into the egg mixture. Quickly dip the into the liquid, coating each side. Careful not to let the bread be in the bowl too long or it won’t cook in a reasonable amount of time and risks falling apart. Set aside and sprinkle both sides with bacon pieces.
- In the same pan, add oil on medium heat and tost each side of bread for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from pan, cut into bite sized squares and serve with maple syrup and strawberries.
Root Vegetable Nest Baked Eggs and Toast Soldiers
Gluten Free, Vegetarian
Makes 10-12 nests, 2-3 nests per person
400g root vegetables like sweet potato, carrots, parsnips and beetroot, peeled and grated
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
2 tbsp corn starch
1/2 – 1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
pepper to taste
4 slices toasts
garnish with chives
- Pre-heat oven to 190C Fan. Wash and peel vegetables, then grate and salt to help release water. Squeeze dry using a cloth.
- Toss vegetables in oil, then add cornstarch, garlic power and herbs.
- Line muffin tin with parchment or cupcake sleeves. Divide the vegetables into tin, filling to the top (nests will shrink after baking) and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the nests from the oven. Using the back of a spoon press to form a hollow (holding hot tray with oven glove). Break an egg into each hollow and season with salt.
- Return to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes until the eggs are just set. Leave in for 12-15 minutes for a harder egg.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread in toaster or grill on hot pan with a bit of salt and brushed olive oil on the bread.
- Serve with garnish and toast soldiers.
Turkish Pul Biber Vegan Scramble
Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
1 red pepper, 150g , diced
1 red onion, 75g, finely diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp tomato paste
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp pul biber chili or chilli flakes
400g can of chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp sea salt
300g tofu, silken texture
fresh ground black pepper
2-4 slices sourdough or seeded bread
garnish 10g parsley, leave torn
extra olive to drizzle over finished dish
- Prepare red onion and peppers by washing and cutting.
- In a saucepan over a medium high heat add oil and, when hot, add onion. Cook for approximately 2 minutes. Then cook peppers for another 8 mins.
- Lower the heat and add tomato paste, paprika and chilis for 1-2 mins, then add the chopped tomatoes, oregano and salt and cook for 15-20 minutes simmering and stirring until peppers are soft.
- Open the tofu and drain the water. Place block of tofu over the pan. Gently break into pieces. Cook the tofu gently folding, until it is warmed through. Add more salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, toast bread and cut into triangular halves.
- Serve scramble in bowl with bread on the side. Top with the chopped parsley and drizzle with olive oil.